Anglers' Guide 2023-2024
The angler logbook information is an important tool in the salmon assessment process, and your support is vital. Please submit your log information. https://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/en/form/salmon-angling-return-form
Don’t forget to download the Anglers’ Guide https://www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/AG/anglersguide
NEW FOR THE 2023-2024 ANGLERS’ GUIDE
There is a new look and format in the 2023-24 Anglers’ Guide. However, management measures remain the same:
- Retention of a total of two salmon with a maximum of one salmon on Class 2 rivers.
- Environmental Protocol.
- Retention of salmon is not permitted on non-scheduled waters.
- Catch and Release limits of three salmon per day for Newfoundland and Labrador.
Call 709-772-2045 for resources regarding updates and/or changes throughout the season.
RESOURCES AVAILABLE ONLINE:
Table of Contents
- Salmon Fishing Areas (SFAs)
- Salmon Season Dates
- Retention Limits
- Tag Use
- Catch and Release
- Salmon Licence Fees
- Gear Type for Salmon Angling
- Watershed Management Plans and Closed Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Trout Angling Zones
- Trout Season Dates
- Daily Bag/Possession Limits/Size Restrictions
- Trout Licence Fees
- Gear Type for Trout Angling
- Special Trout Management Areas
- Frequently Asked Questions
OTHER SPECIES (Smelt, Artic Char, Northern Pike and Whitefish)
- Other Species Season Dates
- Daily Bag/Possession Limit/Size Restrictions
- Other Species Licence Fees
- Gear Type
- Annex 1: Key Contacts
- Annex 2: Licence Information
- Annex 3: Environmental Protocol
- Annex 4: Newfoundland and Labrador Wildlife Regulations - Guide Requirements
- Annex 5: Program for Anglers with a Disability
- Annex 6: Coastal Waters and Inland Waters Angling in Non-scheduled Waters/Coastal
- Annex 7: Rainbow Trout Scheduled and Non-Scheduled Waters and Additional Measures
- Annex 8: Brown Trout Scheduled and Non-Scheduled Waters and Additional Measures
- Annex 9: Smelt
- Annex 10: Salmon Angling Log
- Annex 11: Returning Scientific Tags
- Additional Resources
- DFO Angling Enforcement Efforts for Salmon and Trout (NL)
The Angler’s Guide is published by Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). It provides anglers with information on some of the regulations pertaining to salmon and trout angling in inland and coastal waters of Newfoundland and Labrador. It is recommended that anglers read the guide to become familiar with the regulations prior to angling. Regulatory changes to management measures such as season dates, bag limits, river closures, and licence fees may occur following publication. The Angler’s Guide is neither a legal document nor a complete collection of current applicable legislation; it is an abbreviated guide issued for the convenience of anglers. The Fisheries Act and Regulations, and the Wildlife Act and Regulations, should be consulted for interpreting and applying the law. If further clarification is required, please contact DFO or the provincial government offices.