Looking for new challenges in an organization committed to its people? A career with Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) can be exciting and rewarding. We offer scientific, technical, operational, executive and administrative positions in a variety of settings — office, research facility, in the field, aboard a Canadian Coast Guard vessel.
Interested in a career in the federal public service? Check out Current Job Openings!
What We Do
Each day, our employees work to ensure safe and accessible waterways, healthy and productive aquatic ecosystems, and sustainable fisheries and aquaculture.
In real terms, this means that we:
- save lives;
- help with ship-to-shore communication and navigation, and respond to ship-sourced oil spills;
- study, conserve and protect aquatic ecosystems, and ensure compliance with certain environmental standards and regulations;
- conduct scientific research and provide high-quality hydrographic data, products and services;
- provide services to fish harvesters, collaborate with stakeholders to manage the fisheries, and create the conditions to support a vibrant and sustainable aquaculture industry; and
- maintain a network of harbours.
The list goes on. To learn more, read our Mandate and role.
Our Commitment to a Representative Workforce
DFO is committed to achieving a representative workforce, which reflects the rich cultural diversity in our country and enables the federal government to provide excellent service to Canadians. We value a workplace that is fair, respectful, inclusive and welcoming for all. Members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and women are invited to self-identify when applying.