Anglers' Guide 2023-2024 - Additional Resources

Additional Resources

Protect Fish and Fish Habitat When Using Your ATV

Every year, an increasing number of people in Newfoundland and Labrador are enjoying the use of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), whether it’s to explore the outdoors, haul a load of wood, carry gear to the cabin, or travel to a favourite hunting or fishing spot. An ATV is a great way to travel, but operators should be aware of the potential impacts they can have when crossing rivers and streams.

In Newfoundland and Labrador’s rivers and streams, brook trout and salmon spawn in the changeover area between riffles and pools. Riffles are relatively shallow areas with moderate flows and a mainly gravel, cobble bottom. Some boulders may also be present, which break the surface. Pools are deeper and have slower flows.

Below are some fish friendly practices to keep in mind while riding your ATV

A good rule of thumb for ATV riders, as well as operators of any offroad vehicles, is to stay out of the water.

  • Steer clear of wetlands, shorelines and waterbodies
  • Avoid driving your ATV along beaches and streambanks
  • Stick to established hard roads and trails
  • Cross streams at bridges only


If you must cross a stream:

  • Cross where the approach is stable and has a low slope
  • Cross at right angles to the stream
  • Limit ATV crossing of a stream to a single location
  • Cross where the streambed is made of bedrock or large rubble
  • Reduce your speed when crossing
  • Avoid areas with vegetated, silty or sandy bottoms
  • Keep your ATV in good repair, free of mud, oil and other harmful substances that could impair water quality
  • Cross streams during periods of low flow and when water levels are not greater than the ATV axle height
  • Do not skid or drag anything across the ford are/stream bottom

All fish are protected under Canada’s Fisheries Act. For further information, please contact (709)772-4140 or email: DFO.fppnl-ppptnel.MPO@DFO-MPO.GC.CA . If you notice an activity that may result in serious harm to fish, please contact the nearest DFO Detachment Office.

Safe Boating Messages

All pleasure craft equipped with motors 10 hp or more require either a Pleasure Craft Licence or Vessel Registration.
Everyone who operates a motorized pleasure craft must carry proof of competency on board, for example, your Pleasure Craft Operator Card. This includes all motorized boats, no matter the size or horsepower of the engine. This also includes small boats with electric motors.

Are you ready for a safe boating trip?

  1. Check the weather forecast.
  2. Make sure your boat is suitable for the environment and conditions.
  3. Ensure your boat has all the required safety equipment and you know how to use it.
  4. Leave a sail plan with someone responsible; include details about where you are going and when you’ll be back.
  5. Beware of cold water risks. Dress appropriately and in layers.
  6. Always wear your Personal Flotation Device (PFD).

For Further Safe Boating Information contact Transport Canada, Office of Boating Safety at 1-800-230-3693,, or Office of Boating Safety