FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
NOTICE TO FISHERS
March 15, 2016
2J3KLPs Herring Management Measures 2015-2016
DFO reminds harvesters of the management measures announced last year in the 2015-2016 2J3KLPs Herring Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.
• The annual total allowable catch is 14,291 tonnes for 2015 and 2016.
• The minimum size herring that maybe retained is 24.76mm (9.75 inches).
• Effective in 2016, the maximum length of a bar (tuck) seine for the spring fishery will be 120 fathoms. In addition, observer coverage will be required for this fleet. Please note the changes to the seine length and observer coverage do not apply to Herring Fishing Area 11 (Pass Island to Cinq Cerf and Fortune Bay).
• Effective in 2016, all harvesters in the Newfoundland and Labrador Region are required to set bait nets parallel to the shore.
• Starting in 2017 it will be mandatory for harvesters to return bait logbooks.
Full details on the management measures can be found at
For information, contact:
Tel. (709) 772-2045
- Date modified: