FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
NOTICE TO ANGLERS
March 4, 2019
INTERIM ATLANTIC SALMON MANAGEMENT APPROACH FOR 2019
DFO advises anglers of the 2019 Atlantic salmon INTERIM management approach.
This is an interim management approach. The complete 2019 Atlantic salmon management approach will be announced at a later date.
The seasons for the 2019 Atlantic salmon recreational fishery are the same as previous years:
- Insular Newfoundland – all rivers open from June 1 to September 7, 2019
- Labrador – all rivers open from June 15 to September 15, 2019
The interim management approach for the recreational salmon fishery in 2019 includes:
- A minimum of one salmon retention limit on all rivers in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Announcement of final management approach after the Science Regional Advisory Process (RAP). The final plan will be announced in advance of the season opening date.
- The retention limit on some rivers may increase considering the final science advice.
- Catch and release limits will remain at three salmon per day for all rivers in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Retention of salmon on non-scheduled waters is not permitted.
- DFO will develop a more responsive and multi-faceted environmental protocol in consultation with stakeholders through the advisory process.
Full details on the regulations, season, bag limits, river classification, closed areas and special management areas will be contained in the 2019-2020 Angler’s Guide which will be available on-line in the coming months at www.nfl.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/NL/AG/anglersguide .
Tel. (709) 772-2045
- Date modified: