Anglers Guide 2017-2018
Smelt angling dates are consistent with trout angling dates in non-scheduled inland waters (See Season Dates 2015-2016), with the exception of the following list of ponds, which open January 15. Only smelt may be retained when these ponds are closed to trout angling from January 15 - January 31.
Date: January 15–April 15 2018/ May 15-September 7, 2018
- Gambo Pond.
- Gander River seaward from the Gander Bay causeway.
- Southwest Pond, off the Greenspond highway.
- Horwood Pond (Notre Dame Bay).
- Southwest Pond, near Horwood.
- First Pond on the Campbellton River.
- Deer Lake.
- Fox Island River, as indicated by DFO caution signs.
- Little Codroy estuary, as indicated by DFO caution signs.
- Engine Hole, as indicated by DFO caution signs
- Little Barasway, as indicated by DFO caution signs
- Parsons Pond (Northern Peninsula).
- Portland Creek (Northern Peninsula, excluding Inner Pond).
- Maturin Pond, Long Harbour (Placentia Bay).
- Freshwater Pond (Burin Peninsula).
- Garnish Pond (Burin Peninsula).
- Clam Pond (Burin Peninsula).
- Salt Pond (Burin Peninsula).
- Lamaline Barasway (Burin Peninsula).
- Salt Water Pond, Boxey/Wreck Cove (Fortune Bay).
- Big Pond, Jacques Fontaine, Fortune Bay.
- Second Traverse Pond
- Northeast arm inside the Culls Harbour causeway and outside the Eastport causeway.
- North River (Conception Bay), from Newell’s Road downstream to bait-and-spinner signs near railway trestle.
- South River (Conception Bay): bait-and-spinner fishing sections of South River, including “Motion,” downstream to bait-and-spinner signs near route 70, Conception Bay Highway.
- Salmon Cove River (Conception Bay): Harry’s Pond and Salmon Cove, Big Pond (bait-and-spinner fishing areas only).
- Southwest Brook (Port Blandford), from bait and spinner signs seaward to old CN railway trestle.
Date: January 15– September 15, 2018
- St. Charles River from bridge down to mouth.
- St. Lewis River: from Sand Banks down to mouth.
- Alexis River: from Soldier down to mouth.
- Saltwater Pond on Port Mernham Brook.
- Danes Pond (Alexis Bay).
- Salt Water Pond (Occasional Harbour).
- Salt Water Pond (White Bear Arm).
- Edwards Pond (Shoal Bay).
- Table Bay Pond.
- Smelt angling in non-scheduled inland waters is subject to the same gear limits as trout angling.
- There is no bag limit or possession limit for smelt.
- Smelt angling in coastal waters is permitted throughout the year.
- Date modified: